Friday, November 19, 2010

The Places We've Been

 I was thinking the other day, when I couldn't sleep, about the places Kal-El took me...

Kal took me into the conformation ring(UKC) for the first time.  I was terrified, and I'm sure it showed.  The judge was very nice and helped me present my dog better.  He complimented Kal (not me so much though!).  And, I later found out, caused a stir among some people when he put up a long coated WHITE shepherd over the standard colored GSD in group...the judge was Fred Lanting (Mr. GSD), and some GSD people weren't happy a white dog placed higher.



He took me into the obedience ring for the first time.  I didn't care for it very much...and neither did he.  He didn't like that I couldn't talk to him.  And the stays...!  Really, who could expect him to stay that far away from his momma!  We got our UCD by the skin of our teeth (the judge had to actually look up the rules to see if Kal NQd on the stay!).


                  (I know, this is rally, but I don't have any obedience photos)

He took me into the herding ring for the first time.  He took the instinct test, and it was magical to see him know what to do without any training at all.  And, he did it without me!  I was on the outside of the ring, watching.  He got to "play" with sheep several more times, but we never did any formal herding.


He took me onto the flyball lanes for the first time.  He LOVED flyball, and made me love it too.  He usually ran anchor, mainly because the other dogs didn't want to pass him.  He was big for a flyball dog...and if the pass was off, he was going to go anyway!  He ran down for the ball...and even faster back to me, cause he was so far away when he was at the box  LOL


And the physical places he took me.  We trialed all over Florida in various sports: Orlando, St. Petersburg, Tampa, Lakeland, Zephyrhills, Davie, Montecello, Daytona, Palm Bay, Ocala, Williston, Kissimmee, Palmetto, and I'm sure I'm missing places.

We drove to Abilene Kansas twice for white shepherd specialties.  We went to Perry Georgia for agility.  We went to the GSDCA Nationals in St. Louis and followed that up with a trial in Lawrence Kansas.  We went to Kalamazoo Michigan for the UKC Premier to show in Agility AllStars.  We drove to Beaver Falls Pennsylvania for white shepherd Nationals.   I'm not sure if I'm missing "out of state" trips..but that gives you an idea.

I know I'll continue to travel with the girls...and that they'll take me to new places.  But, it's not quite the same without Kal riding in the crate behind my seat...

No comments:

Post a Comment