Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Palmetto trial

Lonya and I had 3 days of AKC agility this weekend.  It was a weekend of weave frustrations and lots of improvements.  I need to remember to focus on the improvements and not let myself be frustrated by the weave issue!  Hard to do...

The weave issue was that she is pulling out of the poles at pole 10-11.  This cost us 5 Qs out of 6 runs this weekend!  In some of those runs, she did make another error after the poles, when I'd try a harder cross or just get flustered.  I "think" I may be crowding her...though I couldn't reproduce it at home.  I'm going to try to take her weaves on the road this next couple of weeks to see what she does.

The improvements.  First, the multiple runs where there was only 1 error!  She is RIGHT there to Qing regularly in Excellent.  She is 2.5 years old and ready to Q in Excellent!

She was MUCH more relaxed walking around the trial site.  It was crowded (biggest trial we've been to).  I watched her closely when were walking around and her tail was up.  Dropping her tail is a first sign of stress for her, tucking it is definite stress.  She went up to people and let them pet her.  People she's met before mostly, but still, this is big for her.  She was able to wait near the ring, not right next to it, but near.  She even walked into the ring on her own a time or two.  And when I carried her in, I asked her to jump up, I don't remember her asking to be picked up.  I always ask for the leap into my arms at the end of a run, but I could put her down to get her leash on and she didn't ask to be picked back up.  Very happy with all that!

Standard was TONS better.  I was more firm, but after the first day, I didn't notice I was overly so.  She only ran by one obstacle in Standard, the teeter on Sunday.  I could see her make the effort to turn back in to take something I asked when she thought she was going somewhere else.  And she called off several tunnels.

We trial again in 2 weeks, then again the week after that (if we "need" to).  I really would like to make the Invitational, but if we don't make it this year, we'll be there next year!  I still am impressed that such a young dog is doing so well, so quickly.  I think it's only because we ARE so close, that I really really want to go this year...Lonya deserves it.

No comments:

Post a Comment